Q: Bathtub refinishing: DIY or call a pro?
A: While there are plenty of DIY resurfacing kits you can buy, there are several important factors to consider that strongly suggest the benefits of hiring a professional bathtub resurfacing service instead of trying to handle the job on your own:
- Expertise and Experience: Professional resurfacers bring years of expertise and experience. They are familiar with different types of bathtubs and the specific techniques required for each. While some DIY resurfacing kits will make your tub look better, they're simply not a replacement for professional expertise.
- Quality of Materials: Professionals have access to high-quality, commercial-grade materials that are not readily available in DIY kits. These materials often yield a more durable and aesthetically pleasing finish.
- Proper Tools and Equipment: Professional resurfacing requires specialized tools and equipment for tasks like thorough cleaning, repairing, sanding, and applying the coating evenly. Professional resurfacers are equipped with all the necessary tools to ensure a top-quality finish.
- Health and Safety: Resurfacing involves chemicals and fumes that can be hazardous without proper ventilation, safety equipment, and fume extraction systems. We do everything necessary to keep our technicians and your family and friends (and pets) safe.
- Longevity and Durability: A professionally resurfaced bathtub typically lasts longer and is more durable than a DIY job. This is due to the quality of materials used and the expertise in application. A professionally resurfaced bathtub can last up to 15 years. Without professional materials, you very well may end up having to redo the resurfacing in a few months or a few years.
- Time and Effort: DIY resurfacing can be time-consuming and labor-intensive. A professional can get the job done in just a few hours, without the added stress of your wondering if you're doing the job the right way.
- Finish and Color Selection: DIY kits usually offer a limited range of colors and finishes, which might not match your bathroom's aesthetic or your personal preference. Professionals like A New Look Resurfacing not only have a wider variety of high-quality finishes and colors to choose from but also provide expert advice on what would work best for your particular bathtub and bathroom decor.
- Guaranteed Results: A New Look Resurfacing offers a 5-year warranty on all of our resident work, providing you with peace of mind that you won’t get from a DIY kit.
The main benefit of DIY bathtub refinishing is the cost. Some kits cost a few dozen dollars, but any one that will do a decent job will go for around $100-150. While that may be a couple hundred bucks cheaper than a professional bathtub resurfacing service, it doesn't include equipment you may have to buy (safety glasses, gloves, etc...), or the cost of repairing the bathtub again when something goes wrong.
While DIY bathtub resurfacing is an option, the benefits of hiring a professional like A New Look Resurfacing are significant. If you're looking to have your bathtub resurfaced in St. Louis, call A New Look Resurfacing today at (314) 368-6198, text us, or contact us online to get started.
Have more questions? Check out our FAQ page here or click on one of the questions below:
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Does It Take to Resurface My Bathtub?
It typically takes anywhere between 5-6 hours to completely resurface a standard size porcelain tub. A fiberglass Tub/Shower unit takes between 6-9 hours to completely resurface.
Read More: How Long Does It Take to Resurface My Bathtub?
If My Tub Has Been Resurfaced Before and it is Peeling Can it Be Resurfaced Again?
Yes, the bathtub can be resurfaced again. Typically, resurfaced bathtubs are peeling due to a poor resurfacing job. Unfortunately, there are many companies that are not qualified or experienced in this industry and lack the correct preparation process to porcelain and fiberglass bathtub resurfacing. A New Look Resurfacing is not one of those companies.
Read More: If My Tub Has Been Resurfaced Before and it is Peeling Can it Be Resurfaced Again?
How Long Does Bathtub Resurfacing Last?
A: When a bathtub is properly prepared and resurfaced it will typically last 15 years with proper care.
Read More: How Long Does Bathtub Resurfacing Last?
Will My Newly Resurfaced Bathtub Have a Warranty?
Yes, we offer a 5-year warranty on all of our residential work.
Read More: Will My Newly Resurfaced Bathtub Have a Warranty?
Are There Fumes Present During Bathtub Resurfacing?
Yes, there are fumes. However, they are minimal. We use only low-VOC, eco-friendly products with low odor. We always properly seal off and ventilate the areas we’re working in. We also utilize highly efficient fume extraction systems to minimize the fumes.
Read More: Are There Fumes Present During Bathtub Resurfacing?
Is the Newly Resurfaced Bathtub Slippery?
Yes, resurfaced bathtubs can be a bit more slippery than your original. However, we install a non-slip surface in every resurfaced tub bottom, unless otherwise directed by the customer. This is recommended by our trained technicians for the safety of our customers throughout Greater St. Louis.
Read More: Is the Newly Resurfaced Bathtub Slippery?
How Long Do I have to Wait to Use My Bathtub After Resurfacing?
Typically, it's recommended to wait at least 24 to 72 hours before using the resurfaced bathtub. Your contractor will tell you the exact amount of time to wait, depending on the materials and coating used, after the job is finished. This time frame allows the new surface coating to fully bond and harden.
Read More: How Long Do I have to Wait to Use My Bathtub After Resurfacing?
Do I Need to Prepare My Kitchen or Bathroom Before Resurfacing?
Yes, there is some preparation you can do make sure the resurfacing is smooth, efficient, and safe. This can include clearing the area, cleaning the surfaces, ensuring good ventilation, protecting nearby areas, planning for downtime from your bathroom or kitchen, and informing your technician of any necessary repairs or known issues.
Read More: Do I Need to Prepare My Kitchen or Bathroom Before Resurfacing?
Bathtub Refinishing: DIY or Call a Pro?
While there are plenty of DIY resurfacing kits you can buy, there are several important factors to consider that strongly suggest the benefits of hiring a professional bathtub resurfacing service instead of trying to handle the job on your own.
Read More: Bathtub Refinishing: DIY or Call a Pro?
Should I Get My Bathtub Resurfaced or Replaced?
Resurfacing is a much more affordable option that can make most bathtubs look and function like new again. They ultimate decision about whether to resurface or replace comes down to an individual homeowner and your unique situation.
Read More: Should I Get My Bathtub Resurfaced or Replaced?